Passports & Travel

When California is an independent country, we will ensure that all California residents will automatically be granted California citizenship. This includes those who hold dual citizenship with another country but U.S. Military personnel stationed in California will not be California citizens unless they were born in California. It will be possible to hold dual California/American citizenship.

California-born American citizens currently living outside of California will also automatically be eligible to apply for California citizenship. Other people will be able to register or apply for California citizenship based on clear criteria set by the Government of California.

All California citizens will have the right to acquire a California Passport to use for international travel and for identification purposes, although there will be no requirement to hold one. The California Passport will have pages for international visas, as well as entry and exit stamps.

While the act of California becoming an independent country will not affect your U.S. citizenship, California will indeed become a foreign country. As such, not only will we have an international border with Mexico to the south but we will have international borders to our east with Arizona and Nevada, and to our north, with Oregon.

As a U.S. citizen, your travel to the United States will not be impaired but you may need to show your passport when you cross the border depending on your mode of travel. For travel by air, U.S. Customs and Border Protection says that all U.S. citizens entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere must present a passport. However, the United States has various international programs for travelers entering the United States.

One is the NEXUS program, which enables U.S. citizens to travel between Canada and the United States more quickly and easily by using automated self-serve kiosks in the air mode of travel, dedicated lanes in the land mode of travel, and by calling Telephone Reporting Centers prior to arrival by sea.

Meanwhile, Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection program that allows expedited clearance for approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States by air. Global Entry kiosks are already in place at airports in Los Angeles, Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco, and San Jose.

Between these programs, as well as SENTRI and FAST, an independent California will work with the U.S. Government to facilitate U.S. citizen travel to and from California. However, even without such a program in place, U.S. citizens entering the United States by land, such as by driving across the border into Nevada, may do so with a passport, a passport card, or an enhanced driver’s license.

We will establish with the United States, Canada, and Mexico to allow for free and unfettered travel between the Republic of California and the other countries of North America. This will require the United States to recognize and accept the newly created California passports and immigration documents issued by the California government. Likewise, California must be willing to accept immigration documents issued by the United States.

The new system we envision can be modeled after the Schengen Visa. This agreement currently exists between 26 European countries, and is specifically designed to allow for free and unfettered travel of peoples between European countries in Europe. Remodeled and branded for California, this agreement would help citizens of California and the United States, as well as Mexico and Canada, to travel back and forth freely.

In short, this campaign sees no benefit in making travel to California more difficult and there is no benefit to the U.S. Government in making travel for Californians to the United States more difficult. However, an international border being what it is, you may have to present your passport when you enter the United States but as a U.S. citizen, you will never need a visa or any special permission to go there.